SALKANTAY HUMANTAY TREK & MACHU PICCHU 5 DAYS
SALKANTAY HUMANTAY TREK & MACHU PICCHU
- This five-day adventure trek combines the Humantay Turquoise Lake with Machu Picchu making the perfect alternative for those unable to book the Inca Trail. Travel to the Chonta Viewpoint to catch spectacular views of the soaring mighty condors in flight. The trail traverses the high Andean plateau, crossing passes as high as 4,750mt-15,585ft for an up-close view of the sacred Inca peak, Salkantay (6,280mt-20,598ft) that is the highest peak in the Vilcabamba Mountain Range. The route then descends into the beautiful Aobamba Valley with its tropical climate and vegetation. Taste fresh roasted coffee at Lucmabama and learn the process of roasting coffee. Finally, we will visit the magical Machu Picchu for a never to be forgotten guided-tour of this architectural marvel. Hidden under the dense foliage of a highland jungle, forgotten by the Incas themselves, Machu Picchu escaped the conquistadors and eluded treasure hunters until Hiram Bingham brought the “Lost City of the Incas” to the world’s attention in 1911. The intricate stonework of these enigmatic ruins is one of the finest examples of Inca masonry. To this day, scholars are in disagreement as to its function and why it was eventually abandoned. Be that as it may, it remains the crown jewel of Inca architecture.
Itinerary at a Glance
|Day 1||Cusco – Mollepata – Sorayapampa – Humantay Lake||Visit the Humantay lake|
|Day 2||Sorayapampa – Salkantay pass – Collpapampa||Incredible scenery from snowcapped peaks to cloud forests|
|Day 3||Collpapampa – La Playa – Lucmabamba Fruit and Coffee Delight||Spectacular views of the Salkantay Mountain & native flora|
|Day 4||Lucmabamba – Hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes||where you can catch sight of the national bird of Peru, the Andean cock-of-the-rock|
|Day 5||Machu Picchu – Train Ride – Cusco||Hike the legendary Huayna Picchu (OPTIONAL) and make a tour over the citadel and then enjoy a scenic train ride back to Cusco|
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata (Cruz Pata) – Sorayapampa – Humantay Turquoise Lake
We will meet you in your hotel in Cusco early in the morning and drive from Cusco for 2 hours passing Killarumiyoq the Inca Temple of the Moon and Temple of Fertility and Tarawasi a temple of the Incas. We continue to the Limatambo Valley (2577m/8,455ft.), where most of Peru´s Avocados are grown. Take in magnificent views of the Sacred Salkantay Mountain in the Cordillera of Vilcanota and the surreal snowcapped Vilcabamba. We finally reach the village of Mollepata (3,000mt/9,843ft) and continue driving to Challacancha where our horsemen with horses will meet us to begin our adventure trek. We will walk in the direction of Cruz Pata (3,400mt/ 11,155ft), a place with magnificent scenery of valleys and the most important snow-covered mountains like the Humantay (5,217mt/17,116ft) and Salkantay (6,264mt/ 20,551ft) which were sacred to the Incas. We continue hiking passing Sorayapampa (3,922m/12,867ft) and get settled in our campsite before starting off to Humantay Lake. Now the scenic trek begins for approximately 1.5 hours to the gorgeous turquoise colored Humantay Lake (4200m/13,779ft.). Explore walking around the lake and if you have a clear sky see the amazing Humantay and Salkantay mountains. A breath of fresh air. Return to our campsite and enjoy some leisure time.
Meals: BL, D
Driving: 5 hours
Hiking: 3 Hours
Day 2: Adventure hiking Sorayapampa – Salkantay pass – Collpapampa
In the morning we will walk the most difficult part of the trek to the highest point, the Salkantay Pass (4,600m/15,092ft) to catch stunning views of the Salkantay glacier, the flowing Salkantay River below in the valley, the lively vizcacha (Andean rabbit), perhaps a Condor in flight and the green vegetation. From here we will start our descent seeing small farms, orchids, humming birds, flight catcher and more. Look at the constant change of the landscape from the arid highlands to the tropical jungle. As we continue we will see where the two streams meet to form the Santa Teresa River. Finally we reach our campsite of Collpapampa (2850m/6350ft) which is alongside the flowing Salkantay River.
Meals: B, L, D
Trek distance: 16km/10m
Hiking: 8 to 9 hours
Day 3: Collpapampa – La Playa – Lucmabamba Fruit and Coffee Delight
After a delicious breakfast, we begin our easy hike along the Santa Teresa River. Admire the lovely scenery of vegetation, pristine small waterfalls, coffee plantations and more. Continue hiking passing the small town of La Playa (2,100mt/ 6890ft) and finally reaching our campsite at Lucmabamba (2,100m/6888ft). En route see the plantations of banana, coffee, avocado, and an abundance of local flora. We enter spectacled-bear territory and possibly be accompanied by flocks of parrots as we descend. Once settled in our campsite we will visit a coffee farm and learn how to roast the aromatic coffee beans and drink a fabulous fresh cup of brew. Return to our campsite and relax in nature.
Meals: B, L, D
Trek distance: 15km/9m
Hiking: 6-7 hours
Note: Most travel agencies go to Santa Teresa for the night which has a hot springs but there is too much noise and partying so we no longer do this route.
Day 4: Lucmabamba – – Hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes
This morning after breakfast, hike to the Llactapata Ruins (2700m/8907ft). Walk up for about 3 hours admiring the beautiful scenery of orchids and green surroundings until reaching the ruins for a visit. Fix your eyes on the mesmerizing sight of the back of Machu Picchu from a far distance. Definitely makes for a picture moment. Afterwards, we descend for approximately 2 hours to the Hydroelectric Station (1950m/6398ft) where we will wait for our train and travel for 45 minutes. From here we will walk to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town) (2050m/6726ft) along the Urubamba River enjoying the beautiful vegetation. We arrive in town and walk to our hotel and check in. Enjoy the rest of the day at leisure.
Optional extra cost: take the train from Hydroelectric to Aguas Calientes instead of walking (must be booked in advance).
Overnight in Aguas Calientes
Meals: B, L
Trek distance: 12km/7m
Hiking: 7 -8 hours
Day 5 Mysterious Machu Picchu – Train Ride – Cusco
Early rise and have breakfast before taking the bus for a 25-minute ride to the magical Machu Picchu one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Take pleasure in a professional guided walking tour, visiting the citadel once lost in time. Our first visit will be of the guard house to observe the agricultural farming terraces, Funerary Rock where the Incas were mummified and catch spectacular views of Sungate up above and Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu below. Stroll to the extraordinary Temple of the Sun with exceptionally carved stones, The Sacred Plaza with the Temple of the Three Windows which features the huge trapezoidal windows. Walk up to the Intihuatana the solar clock and finally visit the temple of the Condor. After a mesmerizing experience, feeling the energy of the past, exit the park with your guide and return to town to have lunch on your own. After lunch board the train to the Ollantaytambo or Poroy station where our private transportation will be waiting to whisk us to your hotel in Cusco.
Hotel in Cusco
End of Adventure!
Optional extra cost: Huayna Picchu if available or Machu Picchu Mountain Peak
UPGRADE extra cost: Hiram Bingham luxury train with dinner.
- Professional guide, Chef to cook meals, horses to carry the tents, food, cooking equipment, sleeping pad, kitchen/dining tents, tables, stools, and all kitchen gear.
- One staff in charge exclusively to keep the bathroom clean.
- Horses to carry your belongings in the duffle bag we provide 12 kilos/24 pounds per person. Emergency horse included.
- In the city you will have your trip coordinator is available 24/7 for any assistance and needs that you may require. She/he will be in care of the details of your trip: Changing money, check in at the different hotels, what activities you can do on your free time, luggage, local and return flight reconfirmation, translating, etc.
- Eureka Expedition ot North Face V-25 tents for overnight, inflatable thick mattress (therma rest) 2.5 inches, pillow, dinning tent, kitchen tent, biodegrade soap, portable chemical biodegradable toilet safe for the environment, First-aid kit and oxygen, walkie-talkies and duffel bags.
- Satellite phone on trail.
- Menu to choose before the trek. Vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, intolerant lactose diets accommodated on request (advance notification required). For other diets, consult your travel specialist before making a reservation.
- All in-country transfers as scheduled and upgrade Vistadome class ticket train.
- Comfortable private vehicles with professional drivers.
- Day by day itinerary improved by you and your ToursTrekperu travel designer.
- This itinerary is based in 2 people travelling together in double or twin occupancy.
- All of our treks are operated by ToursTrekperu, we provide almost all the group equipment that you will need.
- Trek briefing before departure.
- All trash produced during the trek returns to Cusco.
Services NOT Included:
- Travel and health insurance (highly recommended)
- International flights, nor local flights within Peru.
- Personal items like individual gear, room services, medicines, laundry, telephone calls, airline excess luggage charges, visa fees, vaccinations, etc.
- US$20.00 per person Walking Pole set
- US$30.00 per person Sleeping Bag with liner. Top quality Marmot sleeping bags -17C
- (1.4 F).
- US$30.00 Single Tent
- US$85.00 per person Huayna Picchu or Mountain Peak
- Meals or other services not listed on the itinerary.
- Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc., shall be covered by the passenger as a whole. If you cannot continue the trek due to physical or health reasons and you would require emergency evacuation then all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc., will be at passenger’s expense. You will be accompanied by one of our staff members back to Cusco or Machu Picchu. This is why we recommend purchasing travel and health insurance. This is money well invested! Trekperu will help you obtain all the necessary documents for you to file a claim with your insurance company.
- Tips to the local staff.
Our prices are per person in double occupancy (matrimonial or twin) in US dollars, thus if you want a single room you will need to add a supplement cost.
Occasionally, after coordinating your trip with our travel consultant, there could be slight changes in your itinerary or hotels because you want to spend more time in places that interest you, avoid long distances, have more free time or avoid tourist concentrations. These changes will increase or reduce the final price. It is important to mention that most hotels increase their rates during special holidays but our Travel Consultant will inform you and make other suggestions.
- +1-800-566-1305 – Toll-free – (USA/CAN)
- +51-84-650603 (to Peru).
- Skype: ttrekperu, ttrekperu2, ttrekperu3
- Live chat
- Whatsapp Carlos Ruiz +51 969168622
- Whatsapp Doris Freire +51 969290203
- Whatsapp Henry Apaza +51 969228980
>You might also like