LARES LLAMA TREK & MACHU PICCHU 5 DAYS
LARES LLAMA TREK & MACHU PICCHU
- This five-day journey combines beautiful sceneries in the Andes and the colorful lifestyle of local people in the highlands. It starts in the ancient Inca capital, of Cusco and turns off towards Lares (3,100mt/10,170ft) traveling through small communities, seeing many fields of Andean products. On this fantastic trip we use llamas as pack animals, like back in Inca’s time (some horses, too). Crossing the pass (4,500mt/14,760ft) we will continue hiking the amazing Andes catching views of some birds like the Condor or the Andean Cara Cara. Thereafter, we descend by other Andean communities until reaching the town of Ollantaytambo where we will see the archaeological site and explore the typical houses and walk through the original Inca streets. In the evening we take the train to Aguas Calientes Town to spend the night. Early in the morning we take the bus up to the “Lost city of Machupicchu” to enjoy a guided walking tour of “One of the seven wonders of the world”.
Itinerary at a Glance
|Day 1||Start of the Lares Trek||Discover the last royal descendants of the Incas with his typical clothes, ancestral wear.|
|Day 2||Second day of the Lares Trek||Surrounded by snow-peaked mountains, glacial lakes, waterfalls and the surrounding valleys|
|Day 3||Third day of Lares Trek||Meet the people from Cuncani Community the last refuge of the Royal Panakas|
|Day 4||Fourth day of Lares Trek||Passing small agricultural communities and flowers such as begonias and orchids. Enjoy the hot springs of Lares|
|Day 5||Machu Picchu||Visit Machu Picchu and make a tour over the citadel and then enjoy a scenic train ride back to the Sacred Valley transfer to Cusco|
Day 1: Start the trek from Huaran to Cancha Cancha
Your guide will meet you in your hotel early in the morning to board your private transport for approximately 2 hours to Huaran (2,840mt/9,317ft), a small village in the Sacred Valley. We will meet our horsemen with llamas and horses to begin our trek full of adventure and culture. This hike begins with a gentle climb to the Village of Cancha Cancha (3,940mt/12,925ft) where you will see herds of alpacas and llamas, farmers tilling the land, and crops of potatoes and corn. The locals of this village wear their typical colorful ancestral wear. A nice spot will be chosen to have lunch prepared by our chef and assistant. After lunch we will continue hiking taking in spectacular vistas. It will take about 5 hours to reach the picturesque village of the same name where we will set up camp for the night. At the campsite enjoy a hot shower in the shower tent. Then relax with a professional soothing massage from our masseuse. Afterwards, unwind with a drink of your choice, wine, champagne, beer, brandy or a Pisco while our chef prepares your mouth watering dinner and dessert. Rest and sleep under the stars in style and comfort.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner included
Duration: 4 hours – Distance: 6Km/4m approx.
Day 2: Cancha Cancha – Pachacútec Pass – Quiswarani
Early in the morning the waiter will wake you with a hot tea or coffee brought to your sleeping tent. Then have a delicious energizing breakfast served at the dining tent consisting of quinoa and oat meal cereals, fresh fruit, fruit drinks, yogurt, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, boiled eggs or an omelet, pancakes, French toast, coffee, hot chocolate, tea and more. After breakfast we leave the campsite and begin a steep ascent to the Pachacutec Pass (4,700m/15,416ft), the highest point of the trek. From here, see spectacular views of the snow-peaked mountains of, Colque Cruz, Serijuany, Sawasiray Lagoons and the surrounding valleys. Quench your thirst with Gatorade, bottled water or a glass of beer. After the pass, we continue walking and descend into the next valley to reach the Quiswarani Village (3,900mt/12,790ft) where will spend the night. Along the route, the scenery is breathtaking with glacial lakes and crystal clear waterfalls. This area is also rich in birdlife and you might have the possibility of seeing the Andean ibis, Andean geese and flamingoes amongst others. Unwind by taking a hot shower in the shower tent and then relax while your aching muscles are soothed with a massage using aromatic essential oils. Then toast with your favorite drink and feed your palette with your favorite meal prepared by our chef.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner included
Duration: 7 hours – Distance: 9Km/6m approx.
Day 3: Quiswarani – Huillquijasa – Cuncani
Enjoy your wake up coffee or tea and then have an energizing breakfast of your choice. We will start our hike by ascending for about 3 hours to reach the Huillquijasa Pass (4,440mt/14,560ft), the second highest pass of the trek. The views are impressive and worth the climb! After this, we descend towards the village of Cuncani (3,700mt/12,140ft), passing beautiful turquoise lakes along the way. This was the last refuge of the “Royal Panakas” an Inca sector. At our campsite of Cuncani you will rejuvenate with a hot shower and a massage to help you release tension. Thereafter, you will be served your gourmet meal by the waiter. Toast to another day with your favorite drink. Then sleep comfortably on your cot with mattress, sheets and pillow under the stars in a spacious tent.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner included
Duration: 7 hours – Distance: 9kms/6m approx.
Day 4: Cuncani – Lares (Aguas termales)- Train to Machu Picchu
This morning after your wake-up with a hot beverage and a delicious breakfast we will continue our final stretch of this cultural trek. We will walk down a fertile valley, passing small agricultural communities viewing typical vegetation and high altitude crops, such as beans and potatoes. Along the trail we see native flowers such as begonias and wild orchids. After walking for around 3 hours we arrive in Lares, a large village whose principal attraction is its pleasant hot springs, where we can enjoy a dip. While you are relaxing in the hot springs the chef will be preparing a delicious lunch. After lunch, we board a private bus that will drive us to Ollantaytambo station to take our train to Machu Picchu to spend the night in the Sanctuary lodge near the mysterious Machu Picchu or another luxury hotel in the village.
Hotel of your choice
Breakfast, lunch and dinner included
Day 5: Machu Picchu Tour and back to Cusco by train
After breakfast, our guide will meet you in your hotel to take the first bus for a 25 minute ride up to one of the Seven Wonders of the World, Machu Picchu. Take pleasure in a professional guided walking tour, visiting the citadel once lost in time. Our first visit will be of the guard house to observe the agricultural farming terraces, Funerary Rock where the Incas were mummified and catch spectacular views of Sungate up above and Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu below. Stroll to the extraordinary Temple of the Sun with exceptionally carved stones, The Sacred Plaza with the Temple of the Three Windows which features the huge trapezoidal windows. Walk up to the Intihuatana the solar clock and finally visit the temple of the Condor. After a mesmerizing experience, feeling the energy of the past, exit the park with your guide and return to town. Have lunch on your own. Board the train to the Ollantaytambo or Poroy station where our transportation will be waiting to take you to Cusco.
Optional extra cost: Huayna Picchy or Montaña hike
Upgrade extra cost: Vistadome train or the Hiram Bingham Luxury train with dinner
End of Services
- Professional guide, Chef to cook meals, horses to carry the tents, food, cooking equipment, sleeping pad, kitchen/dining tents, tables, stools, and all kitchen gear.
- One staff in charge exclusively to keep the bathroom clean.
- Llamas and horses to carry your belongings in the duffle bag we provide 7 kilos/24 pounds per person. Emergency horse included.
- In the city you will have your trip coordinator is available 24/7 for any assistance and needs that you may require. She/he will be in care of the details of your trip: Changing money, check in at the different hotels, what activities you can do on your free time, luggage, local and return flight reconfirmation, translating, etc.
- Eureka Expedition ot North Face V-25 tents for overnight, inflatable thick mattress (therma rest) 2.5 inches, pillow, dinning tent, kitchen tent, biodegrade soap, portable chemical biodegradable toilet safe for the environment, First-aid kit and oxygen, walkie-talkies and duffel bags.
- Satellite phone on trail.
- Menu to choose before the trek. Vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, intolerant lactose diets accommodated on request (advance notification required). For other diets, consult your travel specialist before making a reservation.
- All in-country transfers as scheduled and upgrade Vistadome class ticket train.
- Comfortable private vehicles with professional drivers.
- Day by day itinerary improved by you and your ToursTrekperu travel designer.
- This itinerary is based in 2 people travelling together in double or twin occupancy.
- All of our treks are operated by ToursTrekperu, we provide almost all the group equipment that you will need.
- Trek briefing before departure.
- All trash produced during the trek returns to Cusco.
Services NOT Included:
- Travel and health insurance (highly recommended)
- International flights, nor local flights within Peru.
- Personal items like individual gear, room services, medicines, laundry, telephone calls, airline excess luggage charges, visa fees, vaccinations, etc.
- US$20.00 per person Walking Pole set
- US$30.00 per person Sleeping Bag with liner. Top quality Marmot sleeping bags -17C
- (1.4 F).
- US$30.00 Single Tent
- US$85.00 per person Huayna Picchu or Mountain Peak
- Meals or other services not listed on the itinerary.
- Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc., shall be covered by the passenger as a whole. If you cannot continue the trek due to physical or health reasons and you would require emergency evacuation then all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc., will be at passenger’s expense. You will be accompanied by one of our staff members back to Cusco or Machu Picchu. This is why we recommend purchasing travel and health insurance. This is money well invested! Trekperu will help you obtain all the necessary documents for you to file a claim with your insurance company.
- Tips to the local staff.
Our prices are per person in double occupancy (matrimonial or twin) in US dollars, thus if you want a single room you will need to add a supplement cost.
Occasionally, after coordinating your trip with our travel consultant, there could be slight changes in your itinerary or hotels because you want to spend more time in places that interest you, avoid long distances, have more free time or avoid tourist concentrations. These changes will increase or reduce the final price. It is important to mention that most hotels increase their rates during special holidays but our Travel Consultant will inform you and make other suggestions.
- +1-800-566-1305 – Toll-free – (USA/CAN)
- +51-84-650603 (to Peru).
- Skype: ttrekperu, ttrekperu2, ttrekperu3
- Live chat
- Whatsapp Carlos Ruiz +51 969168622
- Whatsapp Doris Freire +51 969290203
- Whatsapp Henry Apaza +51 969228980
>You might also like